Growing up in a family with educators, September was always the start of a new year, something to be excited about! When your children are still in school, there is a build-up to "going back" to school which is all about fresh starts (and fresh school supplies, books and clothes). It's a new year in our house and lots of fresh starts.
We went out for dinner on Sunday evening to celebrate Adam's beginning at UBC. It was nice to just be together, the four of us, have a lovely meal together, talk about all sorts of big ideas and laugh.
This time of year always gets me a little hopeful and seems like to a good time to reflect and think about new goals.
This year, I am making some wishes...
1) We all four go off in our separate directions this year - Adam starting UBC, Colin going into grade 11 at SLSS and also involved in several sports, Neil back at McMath as principal and me back to the school board office for the last year in my consultant position. It is going to be a full year. My wish is that we find ways to stay connected and get some structures in place so that we see each other!
2) Last fall was a difficult start to the school year for teachers in this province. My wish for my colleagues is for a more optimistic start to the school year.
3) We have an election in Canada this fall. My wish is for change.
4) So my dissertation wasn't quite there yet. I am now making some "significant" revisions and still waiting to hear back from UBC as to whether they will let me have another extension. My wish is for an extension granted and also to be able to dig deep and find the strength to finish this.
5) I continue to have some problems with my shoulder and my iron levels. My wish is to get these two issues finally sorted out and to feel healthy again.
6) And for all the students, young and old, that are starting classes this week - my wish is that you find your joy and that you have opportunities to think and learn in ways that work for you.
What are you wishing for this new year?