For the final installment of holiday treat week, I bring you Gingerbread Muffins! Now, these aren't really healthy muffins and are more of a cupcake which is why they are a treat. But they are so yummy and the boys particularly like warm baked goods when they wake up over the holidays.
I adapted the recipe that I found here because I thought it had a few wonky directions and ingredients like self-raising flour and "mixed spice". I used regular sized muffin pans instead of the jumbo pans and they worked out great!
adapted from www.cookrepublic.com
1/2 cup (1 stick) softened, unsalted butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
1) Preheat oven to 390 degrees and line muffin pan with paper liners.
2) Combine butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
3) Add eggs and milk and beat to combine.
4) In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and spices. Add to wet mixture and beat until combined.
5) Using an ice cream scoop, spoon muffin mixture into muffins liners until about 2/3 full. Sprinkle a cinnamon-sugar mixture on top.
6) Baked for about 12-15 minutes until risen and golden brown on top.
7) Remove from muffins pan and cool in muffins liners on a wire rack.