Adam had his final exam for grade 8 this morning and then the kids from his program got together for an afternoon of pizza and swimming. I made some marshmallow pops in fun summer colours as a treat. They all wrote "HAGS" (have a great summer") in their yearbooks so I just had to add the banner ;)
For the big batch of chocolate marshmallow pops I did back in May, I used the Jumbo size Kraft marshmallows which are a bit longer than the regular size and great on the pop sticks.
The leadership students at my school made these as fundraiser for their well in Kenya and I thought I would pass on the tips I passed on to them. They ended up using popsicle stick to save costs and they worked just great.
Supplies: one bag of marshmallows (see sizes above), a package of Wilton candy melts, lollipop sticks, sprinkles, candy, etc.
1) Melt 1 package of candy melts in a bowl of measuring cup for one minute in the microwave. Take out and let sit for a minute and then stir. If some of the melts are completely melted, microwave for 20-30 seconds more as needed.
2) Dip top half of marshmallow in melted candy and swirl off excess. Place sitting up on a large piece of foil or waxed paper. Add decorative topping (sprinkes, a smartie or jellybean, etc). Continue dipping and decorating. (You can see this step in the background of the photo below).
3) Once the melted candy is hard (they can be put in the fridge to speed up this process), dip the top of the lollipop stick in the melted candy and insert into the bottom of the marshmallow about half way up the marshmallow.
4) Lay the marshmallow pops on their sides until the candy on the stick has hardened.
5) Serve in an upright container such as a short vase, mugs, etc. I like sticking them in styrofoam and then putting them in a decorative container of some sort.
These are fun, quick treats to make that are perfect for birthdays or the end of school. I added some to a cake for Colin's spring fling cake walk.
A colleague is turning 50 tomorrow and he'll be getting a fun marshmallow pop packaged up for his special day!
How can you not smile when you see a marshmallow pop?!