the getting organized edition...
1) I have been spending some time in my new library getting things organized for myself. Today, the boys came with me and were a big help. Thank goodness for baskets and tubs and finding places to tuck things away! I think another visit to Ikea will be in order.
2) I took the boys out for lunch today as a thank you for their help. They had their favourite EDO and I had a yummy soybean and wild rice salad from Jugo Juice. They say "out with lettuce...in with fiber!"
3) At home, we need to start getting things organized for back to school routines. When we were at Ikea on the weekend, I picked up these two sturdy magazine holders to sit on the desk in our kitchen to hole all the boys notices and things from sports and school.
4) The boys' sports haven't started up yet (thank goodness!) and Adam is preregistered fro hockey and Colin for soccer. I will need to get the registration forms organized this week for Colin's fencing and look into Adam's kendo. September is always a bit chaotic until the boys' sports schedules fall into place.
5) We decided that with my increased workload this fall (and thus, the overall affect on the household) that we are going to be better organized about things. First step in this was buying a treadmill. Neil picked it up after dinner last night and a BIG thank you to Glenn for helping us to get it up the stairs! We all used it today and I think it will be a great way to fit in some exercise when we have a few minutes. For me in particular, I am guessing that my only available times to walk or run this year will be later in the evening when it's dark so this is a good option for me.
7) I also need to bring off our traditional Winnie the Pooh calendars for the fridge. We have used these calendars from a free Disney program I have on my PC since the boys were preschoolers. We have google mail calendars and other forms of electronic means of sharing our schedules but I just really like the visual of the calendar being on the side of the fridge and being able to check it quickly when I am in the kitchen. I think it drives Neil crazy, and I am trying to get better about shared electronic calendars but I like taking out a pencil and writing an appointment or sports practice on the calendar. I think the act of pencil to paper helps me to remember too.
8) We've never really done meal planning before. We plan a day or two in advance and have a well-stocked pantry and freezer. This year, I think we are going to need to be a bit more organized about doing one big grocery shop on Sundays to have the meat and veggies/fruits that we need for the week. On her blog, Becky Higgins has referred to a meal plan program that her family has been using which I might look into.
10) All this rain means we won't be having a nice fire together this evening like we did Sunday night. I had a smores tray already to go and it was so nice to just sit and reflect on our summer together.