My blog is coming up to its sixth birthday and this post marks my one thousandth post! I remember deliberating whether to start a blog or not...
And I jumped right in for 2010 and did a blog post a day. To mix it up a bit, I have tried different features - Ten on Tuesday, 12 on 12, Wordless Wednesday, The Simple Things on Sunday and the Weekend Wrap-Up. I have done a few series - Holiday Treat Week, One Little Word, Looking Closely, On My Bike.
The following have been my ten most popular (most "hits") blog posts over the years:
- More Breakfast Popsicles (this post somehow got re-posted on some major feeds and was pinned and shared all over the place)
- Angry Birds Cake Pops (again, this post somehow got shared all over)
- Washer Pendant Necklaces (who knew...)
- Harry Potter Treats (clearly we are not the only fans!)
- Breakfast Popsicles (see #1)
- Happy Birthday Adam: Snowglobe Cake (for Adam's 15th birthday...this was kind of cool!)
- Colin's Grade 7 Farewell (clearly Colin has a following?!)
- Apple Oreo Pops (easy, simple back to school treat)
- Holiday Treat Week: Santa Party Mix (just fun!)
- Cool Christmas Cash Cans (these did turn out well!)
It's interesting to me how so many of my kitchen and crafty posts were so popular (and continue to get viewed even years later) - I guess it just reflects the era of "Pinterest" and other sharing sites.
My blog was intended as a way to capture our life as a family of four in this wonderful part of the world that we live in - particularly as a way for my mom to keep up to date with the boys' goings-on and our travels and adventures while my parents spent six months in Phoenix each year. Over the years, this blog has become different things and has been shared out into the world for different reasons. One of the most amazing opportunities arising from this blog was because I had won a Vancouver mommy blogger award, I was invited to be interviewed by a CBC radio journalist on being a mom to young teen boys. That interview helped me synthesize and put into words so many feelings and ideas about what being a mom meant to me and how it frames my thinking about all sorts of topics.
So THANK YOU to those of you that have read my blog over the years. Whether you checked in for recipes, craft ideas, to have a look at some of our travel photographs or to keep up with the boys' sports and adventures, I've appreciated the comments both virtually and in person. I'm always surprised when I run into an acquaintance and she or he mentions something and I wonder how she or he knew and the response is "I read your blog!"
So happy birthday my dear blog, thank you to those who have ready many of these 1000 blog posts and a happy new year!